Happy Monday everyone! We hope that you all managed to stay warm and safe over a snowy, cold, rainy, warm, windy, and cold again weekend. We had yet another exciting few days at St. Peter’s this weekend so here’s a quick recap in case you missed anything.
- This Sunday was our annual Christmas Pageant and it was wonderful! Our children wore costumes, led us in song, and shared the Good News of the birth of Jesus Christ with us all. A huge thank you to all those who helped with the pageant – those who cut out masks, those who helped with rehearsal, those who helped with snacks, those who helped with costumes, those who helped with directing traffic, and to all those who supported our children as they shared the life, love, and joy of Jesus Christ with us all – THANK YOU! You can see some pictures of the pageant below and if you took pictures and would like to share them with us please email them to email@example.com.
- Sunday marked the conclusion of our efforts for the Giving Tree – a great Social Ministry project that supports a number of families by gathering Christmas gifts. I asked John Gordon who leads our efforts about the project and this is what he shared with me:
“I get a list in mid- November from the Colonial Neighborhood Council. They supply the names of the families and gift suggestions. I then type up the labels and sign up sheet, put the tags on the tree, and our congregation does the rest.
This year, we made Christmas brighter for 13 families…more than 101 gifts. I’d estimate that 70-85 St. Peter’s members donate (because several people pick more than one of the 101 tags). We give the parents gift cards for groceries or give them food baskets.
After the gifts come in, we organize the gifts by family, check the list to make sure they are all in (and occasionally call some people on the sign up sheet who forgot to bring their gifts in). Then we bag the gifts in black bags for delivery. We call the families first to make sure they are home and give them the opportunity to have their kids out of the house so the surprise isn’t spoiled. This year, 6 of us delivered the gifts.
This year we delivered 3 bicycles, 2 pair of roller skates, 3 Amazon Fire tablets, hoodies, sweat pants, roller blades, skateboards, Barbie dolls, drawing sets, sneakers, Legos, winter boots, food, and more.
I think I started this 11 years ago and it’s very gratifying to see how generous this congregation continues to be!”
- Do you find Christmas decorations meaningful and beautiful? We do! Share your pictures and stories with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and you can see a few of our decorations and why they matter to us right here: Christmas Decorating Fun v.1, Christmas Decorating Fun v.2, Christmas Decorating Fun v.3.
- Coming up next week is of course Christmas Eve and Christmas Day! In the midst of presents, gatherings, food, celebration, don’t forget to come to worship too! Here is our worship schedule for the weekend:
Family Service – Saturday, December 24th at 5pm
Children’s Sermon by Pastor Suloff! Holy Communion is celebrated with a glow-stick candle-lighting service with special music by soloists!
Festival Services – Saturday, December 24th at 7pm and 10pm
Pastor Todd brings the Christmas message! Holy Communion and candle-lighting service. Music by the Adult Choir and Brass Ensemble!
Christmas Day Service of Lessons and Carols – Sunday, December 25th at 9:30am.
Join us as we celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus through the Service of Lessons & Carols. We will sing Happy Birthday and have a cake for Jesus! Let the kids bring their favorite gift!
- The annual Boar’s Head Festival is coming soon! Our leaders are hard at work prepping costumes, finalizing schedules, and organizing supplies, our choirs are hard at work preparing their beautiful music, our dancers are dancing, and we are getting ready for another amazing weekend of sharing the life, love, and joy of Jesus Christ with others. You can learn more about the Boar’s Head festival and also order your Boar’s Head tickets right here on the website!
- If you missed our church directory picture days back in November don’t worry, we’ve got a makeup day coming! You can sign up now for our makeup day, January 22nd, by contacting Carolyn Hanel or right here online!
We hope that this busy time of year is filled with the life, love, and joy of Jesus Christ for each of you! Keep coming back to the website to find more updates, announcements, and posts, and don’t forget to share with your friends and to subscribe to our blog for email updates about new posts.