We’ve got a number of announcements and exciting events coming up so let’s get right to it…
1. Family Game Time is this Saturday, January 27, 2018 from 2:30 – 4:30pm in Fellowship Hall. You are all part of our family here at St. Peter’s! People of all ages are welcome to come join Family Game Time. Time to play some board games, card games, adult games, kid games, and games for all ages. Feel free to bring friends, family, and your favorite games. If you have any questions or would like more information please contact Julia Friedgen at 610-675-5756 or Pastor Suloff. We’re looking forward to seeing you at Game Time tomorrow!
2. Confirmation Class will meet this Sunday, January 28 from 6:00pm to 7:30pm in the Chapel.
3. Pastor McMullan’s new Bible Study resumes this Sunday after the 10am worship service! Ever wonder why the pastors preach on one thing and not another? Ever wonder why those readings and not others? Ever wonder on what else we might have preached on if we had more time? Are you just plain curious about what’s in the Bible to begin with, and are confused by it? The “Bible study, discussion time” after the 10:00 service focuses on the scripture readings for that Sunday. We’ll begin around 11:00ish and end around 12:00. By focusing on the Sunday readings, we’ll be looking at small chunks of scripture which you would have already heard that day. Plus you get to ask all the questions you want about the sermon, but didn’t have time to going through the line shaking hands.
4. On Sunday, February 4th we will be having our annual Souper Bowl Sunday with a Soup Sale and a Hoagie Sale. Proceeds from the Soup Sale will go to helping our Social Ministry efforts and proceeds from the Hoagie Sale will go towards supporting our Children, Youth, and Family Ministry efforts. To make these events successful we need volunteers! If you are interested in helping with the Soup Sale, would like to learn more, or have any questions please Jan Gera at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in helping with the Hoagie Sale, would like to learn more, or have any questions please contact Pastor Suloff at email@example.com. Soup containers, lids, and sign-up are available in the Chapel.
5. More than 800 million people – that’s 11 percent of people in our world today – are hungry. As members of the ELCA, we are called to respond. We are a church that rolls up our sleeves and gets to work. Working with and through our congregations, in the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands Lutheran churches overseas and other partners, ELCA World Hunger is uniquely positioned to reach communities in need. From health clinics to microloans, water wells to animal husbandry, community meals to advocacy, your gifts to ELCA World Hunger make it possible for the ELCA to respond, supporting sustainable solutions that get at the root causes of hunger and poverty.
Supporting the ELCA World Hunger Appeal is serious and important but it can be fun too – in the spirit of the Super Bowl and the Souper Bowl our synod, the Southeastern PA Synod has been challenged by New England see how much money we can raise to tackle hunger in the ELCA World Hunger Big Game Synod Challenge. Consider giving $5200, $520, or $52 to honor Big Game LII.
Honor your favorite player by giving their jersey number, or a multiple thereof. You can donate online at http://support.elca.org/goto/TeamPhiladelphia. Join us on the road to victory against hunger!
6. Children’s Choir rehearsals will resume on Sunday, February 11th following the 10am worship service.
7. It seems like it was just Christmas but we are swiftly approaching the start of Lent. Ash Wednesday is Wednesday, February 14th this year and we will be holding our Ash Wednesday services at 12pm and 7:30pm. Throughout Lent we will be holding Lenten Midweek Soup Suppers and Vespers every Wednesday from 6:30pm to 8:00pm. Join us for a delicious soup supper, fellowship, prayer, and vespers as we explore the basic catechisms of our faith. We hope you will join us for this wonderful way for the whole family to deepen our faith together as we journey through Lent.
8. Finally, a word of thanks…Last week was our Annual Congregational Meeting and we would like to thank Jan Gera and Brian Deal for their leadership and presentations in the meeting, our outgoing Council members for their years of faithful service, our incoming Council members for their willingness to serve, everyone who was able to join us and participate in this important step in the life, mission, and ministry, and our World of Difference Award winners – David Littlejohn, Marty Bogden, and Debbie Graham – for their years of faithful and joy filled service. Thank you all for a wonderful Sunday and a wonderful meeting together!
We think that covers everything for now so we look forward to seeing you tomorrow at Family Game Time, in worship on Sunday, and in all of the upcoming events and activities as we share the life, love, and joy of Jesus Christ together.